Le Banh Mi: The Vietnamese Sandwich Done Right

Hongdae, Seoul: Le Banh MiHaving visited Vietnam almost seven years ago, it wasn’t fresh in my mind all that I had done there, seen or eaten but after visiting Le Banh Mi in Hongdae the other weekend with some friends, the memories started resurfacing. Those perfectly cooked French baguettes with the crunchy crust surrounding a soft bread in the inside were sumptuous and oh so delectable after living in Korea for a year where the bread was seriously wanting at the time. Le Banh Mi in Hongdae provides those same deliciously crunchy mini baguettes as their base for what is the perfectly light but satisfying sandwich. Toppings include hot peppers, pork, ham, chicken, carrots, radish, onions, cucumbers and cilantro. Poached egg can also be added and my friends rave about the fruit shakes this place also serves, though we didn’t have one.
Hongdae, Seoul: Le Banh Mi

Looking for a nice place to grab a bite to eat in Hongdae as you wander the alleys? This is the perfect place to stop.

Hongdae, Seoul: Le Banh Mi

Le Banh Mi 카페르반미

서울특별시 마포구 서교동 411-7

411-7 Seogyo-dong Mapo-gu, Seoul

Phone: 02-335-2299

by subway: out Sangsu Subway Station, exit 1, make a u-turn and follow the street to the first alley and turn left. When it comes to a fork in the road go right and when it dead-ends go left for a few feet and you’ll see the restaurant on your right. OR out Hapjeong Subway Station, exit 5, turn right at the first street and follow it all the way down until it dead ends. Go left and there are two alleys split by a restaurant in the center, take the alley to the right and you’ll see the restaurant on your left a little ways down.

map to Le Banh Mi

Facebook Comments

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. ohbadiah says:

Hmm, have you been here recently? I work nearby and tried going once but couldn’t seem to find it. I might have missed it, but I wouldn’t put it past Korea for this place to have shut down in the 3 months since you wrote this.

• Hallie says:

That’s a good question. I haven’t been there since that time tho I did walk right by it a couple times and didn’t notice it at first so nah be there’s something about the facade that doesn’t allow it to stand out much. Next time I’m over here, I’ll check it out.

• ohbadiah says:

I went by again today and I think I got to the bottom of it. I definitely recognized the restaurant from your photos, and it’s still Vietnamese, but now the sign in front is for Little Papa, I guess the same guys that are not too far away in Hapjeong and I think even somewhere else in Hongdae as well. Lots of intriguing stuff on the menu, but I’m disappointed there’s no banh mi!

My quest for a non-soup tofu dish in the Hapjeong area will have to continue. I love 순두부, but a tofu banh mi would really get me excited.

• Hallie says:

Thanks for the information. I’m actually sort of happy to hear that Little Papa moved into it because the Hapjeong location is far too small for how good they are, though I guess that means they’ve gotten more chefs and maybe they won’t be so good any more? The guy that makes everything at the Hapjeong location is great. If I happen to see any tofu not in a soup, I’ll let you know. ^^

• Hallie says:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to check it out. PS. Can you make the photos on your site larger? It’s difficult to appreciate how delicious the food looks in those small ones. I wanna feel like I’m really in front of the sandwich about to bite into it haha. ^^

• Tony says:

This is from someone else although you could hold “ctrl” and scroll up at the same time to enlarge the screen yourself ^_^

I was also lost looking for banh mi until I stumbled upon that site. Let me know how what you think of the place. I was really mesmerized by the sauce in their sandwich. Reminds me of banh mi back home in America. They also have an option to add liver pate which I also miss!

What do you think?