How To Become a Lotus Lantern Festival Volunteer & Supporter
It’s spring and one of the biggest highlights of the season is the Lotus Lantern Festival that will take place May 16th and 17th.
(This page contains affiliate links. That means if you click on them and purchase something, I will get a percentage of the transaction to keep up this blog and maybe if there’s a little extra to buy a bottle of red wine to go with dinner. Thanks for the support!)
The festival celebrates Buddha’s birthday with huge elephant, dragon and flower floats as well as hundreds of people parading down a road with beautiful handmade lanterns. Not only is there a parade, there is also a day of experience programs where visitors can make their own lanterns and other Buddhist crafts as well as eat delicious food and meet Buddhists from around the world.
Two years ago, I was able to participate in the Supporters Program for the festival. I had the opportunity to learn more about Korean Buddhism, enjoy a temple stay for free, walk in the parade and volunteer at the festival as well as become friends with others in the program and this year, they’re doing it again. Check out the information below and sign up for the program now!
Events for supporters include:
- A free temple stay in a tranquil temple.
- Participation in a flash mob at Gwanghwamun Square
- “Korean Halloween” Hogi Nori at Insa-dong
- Volunteering at and walking in the Lotus Lantern Parade
- Enjoying the parade from beginning to end and dancing at Jonggak Station square.
- Age: though the website would suggest that young adults between the ages of 20-30 should apply, all ages from university students to older adults are accepted. If you are interested, they will have you.
- Number of supporters to be accepted: 150 (Foreigners:75, Koreans:75)
- Volunteers will be selected after an interview in English. The interview is just a formality to make sure you will be available for the entirety of the program.
Application Period and Interview
- Application Period: March 2~ April 2, 2015
- Submit Application here
- Interview Date: April 3~4, 2015
- Interview Venue: Jongno-gu, Seoul
Volunteer Education & Program Schedule
- April 8 (Wed), 6pm~8pm : Orientation
- April 11(Sat)~12(Sun): 1 night 2 days Templestay program
- Lectures: 4/15(Wed), 4/22(Wed), 5/13(Wed), pm7:00~9:00
- April 26(Sun): Food serving at Seoul Elderly Welfare Center
- April 30(Thur): Lighting ceremony and flash mob at Gwanghwamun
- May 2(Sat): Hogi Nori Culture Festival Volunteering
- May 16(Sat)~17(Sun): Lotus Lantern Festival volunteering
- May 30(Sat): Final Workshop
※ All programs are conducted in both Korean and English
※ Education Venue: Templestay Information Center (Across from Jogye Temple in Insa-dong)
- Volunteer service time about 40hrs authenticated by Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs (1365)
- Free educational lectures for volunteers
- Priority to participate in Lotus Lantern Festival and all other events
- Free Templestay
- All teams will be consisted of 1:1 Koreans and foreigners, activities are conducted in both English and Korean
- Uniform (tailored traditional Hanbok)